Saturday, November 15, 2008

I'll meet you there: Thing #23

I do not exaggerate: Learn & Play has been the most fun I've had at work in years!

Plus, I have learned so many things (or Things) and have found ways to apply them already in my personal life. For example, I now have a pro Flickr account so that I can more easily share photos with my widely-scattered family. I have also created a private blog so that these same family members can keep up with the central Ohio branch of the family tree. As for my own reading, Bloglines has really streamlined my work. All of my updates, in one place!

One of the best things has been Twitter. I love reading what everyone is doing and saying. It's like being part of a huge conversation, where I can participate however much I want. As Jimmer has said, it's a great way to reconnect and stay connected.

How can I apply what I've learned to work? I like to think that I am better ready to meet the customer where he or she is right now. If the customer needs really basic help, like how to create an email account, no problem, I've been doing that all along. But if the customer wants to learn about blogging, wikis, social bookmarking, podcasts, or downloadable books, hey, I can help with those things, too!

Would I participate in more discovery exercises given the chance? Absolutely! How else can I be prepared to help the customer as new "Things" evolve? Bottom line is, I want to be able to tell the customer: wherever you are, I will meet you there.

Photo by netwalker.

2 comments:

Jim Brochowski said...

Thanks for the shout out! This has been a really great ride. I'm especially happy to better get to know so many of my co-workers right here in our SBN corner of the world, but I think the CML community as a whole needed something like this and I'm glad to be part of that as well.

Cheers!

Erica said...

Best quote ever: "Wherever you are, I will meet you there." :D