Thursday, November 13, 2008

Downloadable: Thing #22


MOLDI, the Mid-Ohio Library Digital Initiative, can be a fun place to browse for free, downloadable books, movies, and music.

Keyword searching worked pretty well when I tried to find a recording of The Swan, from the Carnival, by Saint-Saens. I immediately located this recording which I will have to download and play soon: PROKOFIEV: Peter and the Wolf / BRITTEN: Young Person's Guide to Orchestra / SAINT-SAENS: Carnival.

I had a little more trouble with my book and movie searches. I found Great expectations by Charles Dickens, in both print and audio. However, when I used the browse title search for the book The Marshal's own case, I got bizarre titles like Developing your own psychic powers and Complete kit to selling your own home. Advanced search worked much better. Author (or "creator") searches worked well. I'll try a classic book or two that I found.

For movies, I enjoyed browsing categories like Thriller and Classic Mystery. I found Dressed to kill, for example, a Sherlock Holmes mystery starring Basil Rathbone. Keyword search failed me, though, when I tried searching for more movies with Basil Rathbone or Sherlock Holmes; no results at all, even though some movies are there and available. The advanced search features were otherwise useful, though I would have liked to be able to limit by rating. I'm not sure I want to watch a movie on my computer at home, but I may have to try one, just to see what it's like!

I appreciated the “If you like this title, then you’ll love…” feature which often points the way to more items I may want to investigate. Looks like I'll be busy exploring!

Photo by oskay.

No comments: