Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Delicious: Thing #13


I have used Delicious in the past to set up our Division bookmarks (http://delicious.com/sciencebusinessnews). We used these bookmarks primarily when we had Internet access but our web page was down, in order to access databases without the links from the website.

My supervisor (http://sbnjck.blogspot.com/) had initially recommended Delicious for this purpose. I had maintained our bookmarks previously on Yahoo! Bookmarks, but we were reluctant to access our bookmarks account on public computers because we had to log in and thus leave the bookmarks vulnerable to "editing" by the person using the computer.

Delicious worked perfectly for our purposes. However, since we were not particularly interested in the social aspects of bookmarking, I hadn't bothered with tags. Now that I have been introduced to the benefits of social bookmarking, I am starting to add more tags.

Meanwhile, I have created my own Delicious account in order to have quick access to things that have taken me a long time to find. I started with a collection of sites for government sales of real estate, property, and vehicles on various levels (federal, state, local). My bookmarks are at

It's interesting to see that many people (94) have bookmarked the Government Sales and Auctions site, yet few (9) have bookmarked Govsales.gov, the official site to purchase federal government property. And almost no one seems to be interested in the vehicle auction sites. Maybe someone will notice, now that I've bookmarked--and tagged--some good sites!
Photo is by Donnali.

No comments: